Monday, April 29, 2013

Interview with Anita Hughes

Anita Hughes is the author of Market Street.  Anita was born in Sydney, Australia. She received a B.A. in English from Bard College and attended UC Berkeley's Masters in English and Creative Writing program.

 Picture a lovely French Cafe. It has flowers all around the edge of the patio. Anita and I are sitting at the table nearest the street. The busy sounds of traffic sound behind us. We sip on espressos and much on macaroons, then we being with Le Interview...... 

Me:Hi. Thanks so much for meeting me here! Lovely day, isn't it? So, what was the hardest part about writing Market Street?

 Anita: Yes, the day is simply beautiful! Oh, and I absolutely loved writing Market Street so there was really no hard part to the actual writing. I enjoyed the characters - especially Cassie and Alexis - and missed them when I finished, perhaps the hardest part was letting them go!

Me: That's exactly how I feel reading the books! I always miss fictional characters more than I should....What/Who was your inspiration for your main character and their relationship with each other? (In Market Street)

Anita: I didn't base Cassie on any particular person - in my mind she was a woman who had put ten years into a loving relationship only to see it dissolve. So many women go through that, and in many situations it is their best friends who help them start fresh. Cassie and Alexis have a wonderful friendship and will do anything for each other.

Me: Do you have a favorite place to write? 

Anita: Yes! I write on the love seat in my master bedroom. It has a view of the golf course and I can watch the rabbits in our garden when I write. In the evening there is a beautiful sunset.

Me: I have a hammock like object in my room that I love to read in! What advice you you have for beginner authors? 

Anita: My advice is to find a story that strikes a chord with you and start writing. If you can't wait to get back to your story, others will feel the same. I also suggest writing every day or as much as possible - it helps you stay connected with your characters.

Me: What do you think is the best cure for writers block?

Anita: I like to reread what I wrote the day before - it puts me back in the story and helps me decide what comes next.

Me: How did you come up with the title for Market Street?

Anita: My editor came up with the title for Market Street! I love how it ties in to the title of my first book - Monarch Beach - and my next book - Lake Como. I write very visually so I think titles that are geographical locations fit well with my books.

Me:Nice.  Is there any music that helped you write Market Street?

Anita: I'm a big fan of Train and their music is featured in Market Street. They write a lot of songs about the Bay Area so I liked listening to them while I was writing.

Me: I love them to. Especially Drops of Jupiter. So, how did you come up with the idea for Market Street? 

Anita: I love writing about women's friendships, I especially enjoy writing dialogue between women and so I wanted to explore two women's friendship at a pivotal time in their lives. I also love writing about San Francisco and food and fashion. I put all those elements together and came up with the idea for Market Street!

Me: Well, that's really amazing. I look forward to reading Market Street once I get it in the mail! Thanks so much for letting me interview you! I really had fun.

Anita: Oh, you are welcome! I had a great time too.
  
Thanks so much for tuning in for my interview with Ms. Anita Hughes!

 -Jackie 

No comments:

Post a Comment