Thursday, April 10, 2014

Review: Captivate by Vanessa Garden (That Gorgeous Cover)

Source: Netgally
Goodreads

Summary

In a glittering underwater world, nothing is as it seems...

For the past twelve months since her parents’ death, seventeen-year-old Miranda Sun has harboured a dark secret — a secret that has strained the close relationship she once shared with her older sister, Lauren. In an effort to repair this broken bond, Miranda’s grandparents whisk the siblings away on a secluded beach holiday. Except before Miranda gets a chance to confess her life-changing secret, she’s dragged underwater by a mysterious stranger while taking a midnight swim.

Awakening days later, Miranda discovers that she’s being held captive in a glittering underwater city by an arrogant young man named Marko...the King of this underwater civilisation.

Nineteen-year-old Marko intends to marry Miranda in order to keep his crown from falling into the sinister clutches of his half-brother, Damir. There’s only one problem. Miranda is desperate to return home to right things with her sister and she wants nothing to do with Marko. Trying to secure her freedom, Miranda quickly forms an alliance with Robbie — Marko’s personal guard. However, she soon discovers that even underwater, people are hiding dangerous secrets...


Set in the glittering underwater scene, CAPTIVATE bring an all new meaning to royalty, Atlantis and what embarrassment really feels like. I don’t know if I have had to put a book down that many times because of the horror seeping from the main character into me. *grins like a maniac* The utterly magical scenery and delicious plot that kept me needing to read it all in one sitting is also one of the things I was most surprised with. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. CAPTIVATE had a whole lot of twist and turns and when you throw in two hot (one royal king and one royal guard) guys in there practically falling at her feet, where could a girl go wrong? That’s right folks, you can’t. 

Let’s talk guys people. The royal guard won my heart first- even though he’s the one who stole her. Now hold up here people. Don’t judge me. Don’t you dare judge me. (Whoever got that reference, you’re my new best friend) Anyways, at first I saw him more as a really protective older brother then slowly into a really protective guy who is willing to protect the girl he loves even if it costs him his friendship with his best friend. (can I get an aww?) He tried to hide his feelings but then IT happens and all hell breaks loose. *insert evil laughter* Then we have our king. *LE MAJOR SIGH* When he first saw Miranda he was all like ‘she’s not my type’ and I was like WELL SCREW YOU TOO MAN. Then as she showed him that she would not be pushed around and that she would not fall to his feet and obey his every whim he was like ‘well maybe this chick can be my equal’ and I was like WELL NO DUH. Really, mr. king was pretty amazing. He made her see herself as beautiful and for her that was a huge thing. It was fabulous.

Now as for our main girl Miranda, I wasn’t too keen on her. She was extremely talented at doing the most embarrassing things possible. And losing things. And tripping. I mean I know I can’t hold it against her but I was just SO DONE. She wasn’t whiney and she certainly had her priorities straight: getting home. She was pretty strong in the way that whenever she wasn’t threatened by being thrown to the sharks for a snack she pretty much did what she want. AND THAT PALACE HAS A LIBRARY BETTER THAN BELLE’S. So. Jealous. I liked how her character developed throughout the book even though I wasn’t a fan of her in general, I didn’t dislike her. And the plot was total worth it. 

So if y’all are wondering, this is an underwater tale totally worth reading and I would be worried if you didn’t. Seriously, I need someone to talk to this about. With the beautiful setting and gorgeous guys and a plot fit for a king, CAPTIVATE is a must read.  But the ending will destroy you. Also, my heart is torn. 

Let's chat: THAT COVER HOW MUCH MORE FREAKING GORGEOUS CAN IT GET. I don't know either. This book had a love triangle. It did. How do y'all feel about these lovely things? I personally don't mind them if they're done right. And I think it was done right in Captivate. It really was. *le sigh* *fans self* Who's read this? What did you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment