Friday, August 15, 2014

ARC Review: I Want It That Way by Ann Augirre

I Want It That Way by Ann Augirre
August 26, 2014
Goodreads

Via Publisher + NetGalley

Synopsis

Nadia Conrad has big dreams, and she's determined to make them come true—for her parents' sake as well as her own. But between maintaining her college scholarship and working at the local day care to support herself, she barely has time to think, let alone date. Then she moves into a new apartment and meets the taciturn yet irresistible guy in 1B…. 

Daniel Tyler has grown up too fast. Becoming a single dad at twenty turned his life upside down—and brought him heartache he can't risk again. Now, as he raises his four-year-old son while balancing a full-time construction management job and night classes, a social life is out of the question. The last thing he wants is for four noisy students to move into the apartment upstairs. But one night, Nadia's and Ty's paths cross, and soon they can't stay away from each other. 

The timing is all wrong—but love happens when it happens. And you can't know what you truly need until you stand to lose it.




When you read New Adult book you expect a certain thing: damaged boy and/or girl go on a journey of self-discovery, try to avoid (or just plain not acknowledge) the oh so very obvious sexual tension and eventually falling in love with a totally perfect HEA. As I said, most New Adult book follow this guide line. There are a few exceptions and those are my favorite. Not that I don’t like the other ones, but the special ones are the ones I like best. I WANT IT THAT WAY by Ann Aguirre is one of those special ones.

It’s not your typical boy meets girl- angst ridden novel with the sappy but sweet and extremely gooey center. Nope. It’s more of boy sees girl/ girl sees boy + conversations under the stars + sweet little four year old + a whole lotta complications. All that and the characters still act like adults? Color me surprised. . .

So basically this story is about a girl with a dream and a boy with a dream. These two collide and have to overcome the seemingly impossible to be together. They have to overcome the timing. The girl, is 21: the boy has a kid, but if it’s love (and she loved the kid like her own) does timing matter? The boy is convinced that he’s not good enough for the girl. He’s more than bruised from his past relationship: he’s broken and battered and scarred.
 "I won't survive this, will I? But the fireworks will be spectacular." (ARC)
I absolutely adore how real these characters are. I love how rational they are and how they don’t act like hormonal and temperamental idiots. They actually think before they act. Such a rare thing in books these day. And a wonderful quality.


Overall, I thought that this was a really well done novel that had the New Adult vibe but an edge that I hadn’t really found in a lot of other novels. It was a nice change and I would totally recommend it! ALSO: YOU ARE MY FIREEEE THE ONE DESIREEEE BELIEVE WHEN I SAY I WANT IT THAT WAYYYY!

I was lucky enough to get book two in this series for review also. I can't wait to read it! So what are y'all looking forward to?


2 comments:

  1. (This is Darith L.)

    I was lucky enough to win a giveaway of this arc from the author! I'm now excited to read it because of your review! Rational-thinking characters? Count me in! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEEPS! I hope you looove it as much as I did. GO RATIONAL CHARACTERS!!!

      Delete