Wednesday, September 10, 2014

ARC Review: Right Kind of Wrong by Chelsea Fine

Right Kind of Wrong by Chelsea Fine
Goodreads / Buy
Review Copy via Publisher + Netgalley
September 2, 2014

Synopsis

Sometimes wrong can feel oh so right . . .

Jenna Lacombe needs complete control, whether it’s in the streets . . . or between the sheets. So when she sets out on a solo road trip to visit her family in New Orleans, she’s beyond annoyed that the infuriatingly sexy Jack Oliver wants to hitch a ride with her. Ever since they shared a wild night together last year, he’s been trying to strip away her defenses one by one. He claims he’s just coming along to keep her safe-but what’s not safe for her is prolonged exposure to the tattooed hottie.

Jack can’t get Jenna out from under his skin. She makes him feel alive again after his old life nearly destroyed him-and losing her is not an option. Now Jack’s troubles are catching up to him, and he’s forced to return to his hometown in Louisiana. But when his secrets put them both in harm’s way, Jenna will have to figure out how far she’s willing to let love in . . . and how much she already has.






I adore Chelsea Fine. Her first two books, I both got as eARCs as well and they were to die for. Check out my reviews of book one and book two to see the excess rants and squealing. Those first two stole my heart: everything was amazing. The characters were relatable and the stories were original. And everything was oh so very swoon worthy. RIGHT KIND OF WRONG was fine. But, honestly, that was about all it was. It was very average in terms of New Adult books. And for a good part of the novel, it felt more like a young adult novel. With Chelsea Fine I was expecting a firework-worthy love affair that would rock my world and, well, I was expecting a book boyfriend. It’s not that he wasn’t a sweet guy, and he was totally my type, and I’m not really sure why I don’t consider Jack a book boyfriend. He’s just not.

In RIGHT KIND OF WRONG we have Jack and we have Jenna. Jack is the tattooed guy who’s in love with Jenna and has a heart of gold. He’s as sweet as pie. He gave me a cavity. *points at mouth* There was one night between the two of them that changed everything. Jenna has a plan, and that plan never involves falling in love. Jenna has this need to be in control, and with Jack, she loses all control. And that scares the crap out of her. And I understand why that scares her so much: with both her mother’s and her grandmother’s love life failing. But the way she handles everything, the way she just refuses to stay from that dang plan makes me want to slap her with a chair. She has this personality where she hides all her emotions and I really don’t mind that all that much, but when she refuses to grow at all. . .

I felt like neither of these characters really grew all that much in the book, or all the growing was shoved into the last two percent of the book. That who ‘growing of the characters’ is sort of what defines the new adult genre, so you can see as to why I’m a bit confuzzled. They weren’t bad characters, a lot of things were revealed about them through the novel, but I just don’t really feel the need to get to know them. At all.

I did love how we got to see glimpses of the other characters from the first two books. I love those guys to pieces. *squishes their faces*

Overall, this book was pretty average as far as books go. The first two area an absolute MUST READ NOW AS IN GO FORTH AND BUY ALL PRETTY THINGS. This one? I could have done without, but it wasn’t bad. I was just hoping for something more.


Would I recommend it? Uhm. I wouldn’t not recommend it. But I also wouldn’t throw this in your face and ask you every 9.3 seconds how you were liking it thus far.



No comments:

Post a Comment