Sunday, March 22, 2015

ARC Review: The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord

Goodreads / Amazon
March 31, 2015
ARC via Bloomsbury

Brimming with heartfelt relationships and authentic high-school dynamics The Start of Me and You proves that it’s never too late for second chances.

It’s been a year since it happened—when Paige Hancock’s first boyfriend died in an accident. After shutting out the world for two years, Paige is finally ready for a second chance at high school . . . and she has a plan. First: Get her old crush, Ryan Chase, to date her—the perfect way to convince everyone she’s back to normal. Next: Join a club—simple, it’s high school after all. But when Ryan’s sweet, nerdy cousin, Max, moves to town and recruits Paige for the Quiz Bowl team (of all things!) her perfect plan is thrown for a serious loop. Will Paige be able to face her fears and finally open herself up to the life she was meant to live?





This book is a cute, spring feeling romance novel with a story of overcoming disaster, fear and yourself. The Start of Me and You is a YA contemporary by Bloomsbury that deals with a common theme in young adult novels- the death of a family member, a friend, a loved one. This story is a tale of second chances, and in this book, they’re seriously in abundance. From love to friendship to promises to hope and to fear- there is second chances for them all. Unlike a bunch of novels in the genre, this one is set in the school year. Something I didn’t particularly think I would enjoy. 

The setting was the perfect set up for the entire story to take place. The school year brings real life situations that enhance the novel. Okay, so basically after her four-ish month boyfriend drowns all she sees in the faces of other people are pity, she has reoccurring nightmares of downing and now she doesn’t know how to live. Honestly and completely, she has forgotten how to live. Then, at a back to school event she meets a guy that gets it. Granted that it’s not the guy that I really want her to end up with, but that’s a whole different story. 

So, y’all, let’s have a chat about characters. Can I just say who ardently I admire Max? Because I do, I really love him. In all his gentle nerdiness and knowingness and he sounds sweet.  This was a story about self-growth in the loveliest way. He wasn’t quick to judge and he kept his promises. I think he was the main part of her self-growth. 

So who is the girl I have not named? Paige. And as much as she frustrated me with her list, I understood her reason for it and ohmigod her reasons are totally valid and heartbreaking. Her mom and dad, the boy she hardly knew and basically everything else. But her healing was magnificent. MWAHAHA. I mean, there was no kissing involved what so ever. *giggles like a schoolgirl* And her friends are the absolute bestest. There like this awesome Nutella and marshmallow sandwich with strawberries and raspberries. So basically pure awesome. 

My one complaint, and this is the reason for the 3.5 stars, is that I found this novel to be pretty predictable. It didn’t really have anything that seriously stunned me or left me breathless. And I like a bit of sunshine-in-my-eyes stun when it comes to books. This one, really, was vanilla with some hot fudge drizzled on top. Delicious, but average. Now I want ice cream. 


So, overall, this book was saccharine sweet and had the qualities we readers all know and love. But that’s the thing- we all know them. I’d have liked to have a wow moment. I enjoyed reading it and totally recommend it though. It’s a getting-to-know-yourself story that has a very spring-renewal-y feel. 


So, that cover. And I'm thinking about giving away my copy of this book. Tweet me or message me on FB if any of y'all are interested. 


No comments:

Post a Comment