Wednesday, June 24, 2015

My Favorite Translated Work (and it's totally a play)

Dear readers, writers, daydreamers and people with a heart, 


Okay, y'all. Let's talk about beauty. And words. Words in different languages. My favorite words (specifically a play that makes my insides turn to much) that can be read in English. Also this rather cool translation software- -( I'm looking more into, I'll keep y'all updated!) that apparently translated better than Google. *raises eyebrows* Or at least has real people translating it for you rather than a computer. Robot.

I'll begin with my favorite work that is not originally in English. Not surprisingly, I haven't read many. But I did read this one my past year at school and it pretty much stole my heart. Or, specifically, certain characters stole my heart. Who may they be? Leonardo and The Bride.

BLOOD WEDDING by Lorca, a Spanish author who was said to have been killed by a firing squard because of his sexuality, is beyond perfect.

The story depicts that of a Spanish society and a wedding which shouldn't happen. The Bridegroom is kind of a weak little boy, while Leonardo (a man who has been in love with the Bride for three years) is just swoon worthy. Granted, this is the only story where I choose to over look his- erm- less than faithful choices. But, of course, she totally knew what she was getting into. Just saying. Not that that is an excuse. 
     
Blood Wedding // Goodreads // Amazon

One of Spain’s greatest poets and dramatists, Federico Garcia Lorca wrote in many styles but achieved maturity and fame with his peasant plays, Blood Wedding and Yerma, in which impassioned language and imagery accentuate tragic narratives. These never-before published translations unite Garcia Lorca’s masterpieces with two of America’s most gifted poets, Langston Hughes and W.S. Merwin.

The epigrammatic style and unsentimental lyricism of W.S. Merwin heighten the urgency and fervor of Yerma, the story of a woman whose thwarted yearning for a child makes her murder her indifferent husband. Preeminent African-American poet Langston Hughes infuses his version of Blood Wedding—the story of an unwilling bride who elopes with her lover on her wedding night—with the rhythmic intensity and linguistic beauty only a fellow poet could achieve.


Basically what I'm trying to say is you should totally read it. I think there are a few videos of the plays that have been done over the works on YouTube as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment