Thursday, December 22, 2016

#ARC Review || Blood Red, Snow White by Marcus Sedgwick

Blood Red, Snow White by Marcus Sedgwick
ARC via Andye @ readingteen.net
Goodreads || Amazon
October 25, 2016

There never was a story that was happy through and through.

When writer Arthur Ransome leaves his home in England and moves to Russia to work as a journalist, it is with little idea of the violent revolution about to erupt. Unwittingly, he finds himself at its center, tapped by the British to report back on the Bolsheviks even as he becomes dangerously romantically entangled with revolutionary leader Trotsky’s personal secretary. Both sides seek to use Arthur for their own purposes…and, as he struggles to find autonomy, both sides grow to suspect him of being a double agent. Arthur wants only to elope far from the conflict with his beloved. But when he attempts to extract himself and Evgenia from the complicated politics and politicians that he fears will lead them both to their deaths, the decisions he faces are the most dangerous and difficult of his life.




Oh how the mighty fall. Blood Red, Snow White seemed like something that I could fall head over heels in love with. I mean HISTORY. Russian Revolution. Like, the use of real history. All of this fantastically intertwined with allusions and metaphors out into the next world. Like, what is there NOT to love? Right? RIGHT?

This is where I went wrong, because, although it seems to check all of the boxes…I just really struggled. I couldn’t get into it. I just really could not get into the writing, the style. It felt over-descriptive without really saying anything at all. This was my issue, and this is why I couldn’t finish the book.

Overall, I don’t really have much to say because I really didn’t read through much of the book. Blood Red, Snow White was not my cup of tea. Not even close.

DNF


No comments:

Post a Comment